What is a Superfood?
We all know about the “superfood” crazes that pop up from time to time. Anyone just have a flash back to overpriced Acai Bowls? Because same. Really, “superfood” is just a fancy word to say nutrient dense food. Meaning that for what you are eating, it is packed with some really good for your body stuff in every bite.
Because “superfood” has become more of a marketing term, expect to see the newly named princes of the health world at a higher ticket than they once were.
Lucky for you, I rounded up some of my favorite nutrient dense “Superfoods” that you can get at your local grocery store without breaking the bank.
Check out my favorite five!
Dark Leafy Greens:
- Whether you are a spinach lover or kale aficionado these greens are packed with folate, zinc, calcium, iron, magnesium, vitamin C, and fiber. So make a salad, add some to your favorite skillet, or blend it up in a smoothie. You will love it and be on your way to being healthy AF
- I SWEAR BY GARLIC. Seriously, I am always adding minced garlic to all my dinners. Why you ask? Well it is nature’s best preventative medicine, it has antimicrobial properties and boosts your immune system. So chop some up and add it to pasta, bakes, or sauces and you will be able to avoid the flu season like a bad soap opera
- They always say you should have the color of the rainbow on your plate. Well, not only is pumpkin a beautiful color, but it is packed with anti-oxidizing agents that fight against cancer. Pumpkin is also known to boost your immune system. So pumpkin it up friends!
- Good news friends! This powerhouse of a seed contains Omega-3’s, which are good fats and works wonders for overall mental health from mood to memory. Flaxseed also contains lignans which fight against hormone associated cancers like breast, uterine, ovarian, and prostate. And lastly, it is great for getting extra fiber in your diet.
- Are probably one of my favorite fruits that are under the superfood category. Sometimes as is, but most of the time blended into smoothies. It makes the texture great! Bananas help with digestion and make you feel more full. As if all of that wasn’t enough, bananas are great for soreness and cramps from working out. So get peeling my friends!
There you have it, my list of my 5 favorite superfoods you can go crazy over without breaking the bank. Everything I listed can be found at most grocery stores and for $3.00 or less. So stock up! And do you research online, if you’re not a fan of flaxseeds check out what else is out there!